Avon Tyres (no. 8) – 20t Steel Mineral N
Limited edition 20t steel mineral wagon made by Dapol and commissioned by Mr. D. Bottomley in 2019 with a new running number, no. 8. Limited edition of 91 pristine wagons. The Avon India Rubber Co Ltd was founded in 1885 at a cloth mill in Limpley Stoke, located south of Bath on the river Avon. Giles Holbrow had purchased the mill to set up a flour milling business. Rubber was already being processed on the site and Holbrow realised rubber processing was more lucrative and chose to focus on this this industry instead. The business grew and a second mill was purchased at Melksham in 1889 followed by another in Bradford on Avon. The company manufactured various products but were one of the first to produce pneumatic motor tyres hence the distinctive wagon livery modelled here. The companies first wagons came from the Gloucester Railway Carriage and Wagon Co in 1888. The ten Avon Tyres wagons were hired from Gloucester in 1938 and were very similar to a large number that had recently been made for the GWR.
Historical information from Private Owner Wagons A Sixth Collection by Keith Turton (Lightmoor Press)
3 in stock