Foster Yeoman – 5 plank N
Limited edition 6 plank wagon in the livery of Foster Yeoman commissioned by Buffers in 2005. 500 pristine wagons were made by Graham Farish (373-150Z). Foster Yeoman was a quarry owner in Somerset commencing his business after returning from service in World War 1. Duclote was a small quarry which had previously supplied ballast to the GWR and its ease of access to the railway was a major contributing factor in the companies success. In 1928 Yeoman invested in an asphalt plant at Mells Road. The company survived the Second World War but by 1949 when Foster Yeoman passed away his son, John inherited a business which was close to bankruptcy. John completely rejuvenated the business and would build Foster Yeoman Ltd into one of the big three companies of the aggregate industry. It thrived until 2006 when it was taken over by Aggregates Industries part of a much larger conglomerate. The company bought its wagons from the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Company, the first purchase occurred in 1923 when no. 36 modelled here was one of 100 ordered on 7 year deferred terms and registered with the GWR. ERA’s: 2, 3 and 4. This wagon is in excellent like new condition with all buffers and couplings intact, box is also in very good condition.
Historical information from Private Owner Wagons of Somerset by Richard Kelham (Lightmoor Press)