Fremlin Bros – gunpowder van N
Limited edition gunpowder van commissioned by Ballards and made by Dapol in 2006. Fremlin Brothers commenced trading in 1871 in Maidstone Kent. Ralph Fremlin had started his brewery business 10 years previously he then went into partnership with his three brothers Richard, Walter and Frank to form Fremlin Bros. The business would trade successfully acquiring a number of other smaller breweries in Kent and in 1928 they rebranded as Fremlin Ltd. The wagon modelled here was bought in 1878 from the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co for £105. Rather than the transportation of barrels of beer (for which sheeted open wagons were used) the wagon was more likely used to transport malt and yeast to the brewery and bottles of beer to the companies depots in London, Brighton and Rochester. In 1881 it was recorded that the van was damaged by the LB&SCR and had to be returned to the builders for repair. ERA: 2 and 3. Wagon is in superb like new condition with all buffers and couplings intact. Box is in very good condition, sleeve has some minor wear but generally in good condition.
Historical information from Private Owner Wagons of the South East by John Arkell (Lightmoor Press)