Fremlins Ltd – gunpowder brewery van N gauge
The Wagon Yard Exclusives Brewery Van Series – this limited edition gunpowder van is a representation of a livery the company could of used based on historical advertising materials from the Fremlin Ltd era (1928 onwards) and features the elephant brand ale logo.
Each wagon is made to order so please allow 21 days for delivery.
The Pale Ale Brewery in Maidstone, Kent (established in 1790) was taken over by Ralph Fremlin in 1861. After trading for 10 years he welcomed his three brothers Frank, Walter and Richard into the business and built a new larger brewery on Earl Street by the riverside. The company name became Fremlin Bros and the brothers built a successful trade focusing on bottled beers and ales becoming the first brewery in the UK to do so. This focus on bottled beers rather than the pub trade saw Fremlin Bros expand and grow their business with great success and Fremlins would become the largest brewery in Kent.
Ralph Fremlin passed away in 1910, the brewery continued under Richard Fremlin until his death 5 years later. At the end of World War 1 the brewery would become a limited company Fremlin Bros Ltd and the decision was made to diversify into the pub trade whilst continuing their very successful bottled beer production. This diversification saw the purchase of a number of smaller Kent breweries and in 1928 the company name would be shortened to Fremlins Ltd. The Fremlins elephant had appeared on the breweries advertising, logo and beer bottle labels since the late 1800’s. Originally the full logo showed the elephant standing on the Fremlins family crest, over time the crest was removed but the elephant remained featuring on glasses, beer mats and an array of advertising materials. ERA: 3