G. H. Smith – 7 plank N
Limited edition 7 plank wagon commissioned by Ballards and made by Dapol in 2005. George Henry Smithwas originally from Gloucester and worked as a railway clerk for a number of years before becoming a coal merchant in Tunbridge Wells, Kent. The business was founded in 1864 but it is unclear if Smith started the business or bought a going concern. Either way by 1871 he is operating from a coal yard at Goods Station Road as the sole agent in the South of England for the Cannock Chase Colliery Company. By 1881 Smith is now listed as a colliery agent and has 3 employees. His two eldest sons would join the business in the 1890’s and the business name would change to Smith & Sons, with the sons Alfred and Sidney taking over in 1897 when George retired. Little information is available for the companies wagons but a photograph taken at Wadhurst Station (which was used on a postcard) shows a partial view of a G. H. Smith wagon. ERA: 2. Wagon is in excellent condition with all couplings and buffers intact. A real coal load has been added. Box in good condition.
Historical information from Private Owner Wagons of the South East by John Arkell (Lightmoor Press)
1 in stock