GWR Ebbw Vale – 20t mineral wagon N gauge
Limited edition 20t mineral wagon commisioned by West Wales Wagon Works and made by Dapol in 2008. Limited edition of just 137 pristine wagons. The Ebbw Vale Steel Iron & Coal Company was founded in 1790 in South Wales. It would become the largest tinplate producer in the country and had a long and successful history trading for over 200 years before closing in 2002. In 1923 the GWR undertook a plan to increase the numbers of 20 ton steel mineral wagons in use to transport coal on their lines rather than plank wagons. They had recognised the advantages of using larger capacity wagons which took up less siding space and had lower tare weights. An initiative was launched to encourage their use whereby companies would receive a 5% rebate on coal moved in fully loaded 20 ton steel mineral wagons. In 1924 the GWR invested £285,00 in the building of 950 20 ton steel mineral wagons, various builders were employed including the Gloucetser Railway Carriage & Wagon Co and the Birmingham Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. These wagons were hired out on long term agreements with various companies including Ebbw Vale, Vale of Neath Colliery and Norths Navigation Collieries. ERA’s: 3 and 4. Wagon is in superb condition with all couplings and buffers intact. Sadly the original box is missing but the wagon is supplied in a Dapol box which is in very good condition.
Historical Information from an article by Robert Ferris on WarwickshireRailways.com and museum.wales website