Lilleshall (no. 1657) – 7 plank OO
The Wagon Yard Exclusive Editions – Produced in house by The Wagon Yard team the authentic livery artwork comes from historic images and has been applied using a state of the art digital printing process. The wagon body and chassis is from Dapol’s high quality range. This wagon livery was requested by one of our customers and is available in a limited run with each wagon made to order (please allow 21 days for delivery).
The Lilleshall Company of Shropshire was founded by Earl Granville Leveson-Gower a wealthy landowner whose lands were rich in coal, ironstone, limestone and clay. The Lilleshall name came into existence in 1802 and in 1818 the first pit was opened. By 1856 5000 acres and 100 pits were being worked to produce coal and the other commodities. The companies internal railway network was well established by 1850 with work on their own locomotives commencing in 1867. The railway connected to the LNWR at Donnington Road and the GW at Priors Lee. Wagons also regularly ran on the Cambrian Railways. in 1936 Lilleshall was forced to merge with Madeley Wood Colliery and High Mining Company when the coal rationalisation scheme was introduced. By 1940 production was slowing and by 1959 the company ceased trading. This wagon is created from a photograph showing a rake of wagons at the Ironbridge Museum, Shropshire. ERAs: 1, 2 and 3
PHOTO: N gauge model shown
Historical information from Private Owner Wagons a third collection by Keith Turton (Lightmoor Press)