SE & CR – gunpowder van N gauge
The Wagon Yard Exclusives – limited edition gunpowder van in SE & CR livery. Each wagon is made to order so please allow 21 days for delivery.
The first gunpowder mills were established in Faversham, Kent in the 16th century. By the 18th century the numerous smaller mills in the surrounding area had been amalgamated into one larger site known as the ‘Home Works’. The government in need of a regular supply of gunpowder nationalised the mill and set about upgrading it’s machinery. Gunpowder was a valuable commodity not just for warfare but for building and construction works, it played an especially important role in the industrial revolution blasting routes for the railways and canals. When the First World War started in 1914 the admiralty took control of the mill and due to the poor road access constructed the Davington Light Railway to provide reliable transport for the factories work force.
Our wagon recreates a gunpowder van from the SE & CR era (1899 – 1923) which could of been used to transport materials and gunpowder to and from the mill via Faversham Station. The wagon is in the classic SE & CR colours with ‘return to Faversham’. ERA: 3