The Arley Colliery Co Ltd – 7 plank N
Limited edition 7 plank private owner wagon commissioned by Castle Trains and made by Graham Farish in 2008. Limited edition of 504 pristine wagons. The Arley Colliery located near Arley in Warwickshire was sunk in 1901. It was ideally placed for easy access to the Midlands Railway Nuneaton to Water Orton line. The Arley Colliery was owned by Mr. Morris and Mr. Shaw who also owned the Birch Coppice Colliery. Arley itself employed 1585 employees at its peak and produced 450,000 tons of household, manufacturing and steam coals. The coal produced was mainly distributed to Birmingham and its surrounding areas and London and its surrounding areas by coal merchants such as Thos. Lebon, Charringtons and Blackman, Pavie & Ladden to name a few. The wagon modlled here was made by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co in 1913. The company had in the region of 350 wagons at its peak, as well as the GRC&WCo they also dealt with the Midland Railway Carriage & Wagon Co and Thomas Hunter of Rugby. ERA’s: 2 and 3.
Historical information from Private Owner Wagons A First Collection by Keith Turton (Lightmoor Press)
3 in stock